The terrorist who went on the run after killing 14 people in Barcelona has been shot dead while wearing a fake suicide belt. Younes Abouyaaqoub was shot on Monday by armed police in the town of Sant Sadurni d’Anoia in the district of Subirats, around 30 miles west of Barcelona, bringing to an end a five-day international manhunt. The 22-year-old Moroccan reportedly shouted “Allahu akbar” as he was challenged by officers, leading to fears that he was about to launch a bomb attack. Police used a remote-controlled robot to check his body for explosives, but later confirmed that the suicide belt he was wearing was fake. Police: Suspect in Barcelona van attack shot dead 00:48 Abouyaaqoub was the last remaining member of the jihadist cell responsible for last week’s twin terrorist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils. Police now believe he was at the wheel of the van when it ploughed into crowds on Las Ramblas on Thursday afternoon, killing 13 people including Julian Cadman, a seven-year-old British boy. He then fled on foot, walking around Barcelona for 90 minutes before hijacking a car and killing its owner, 34-year-old aid worker Pablo Perez, in order to make his getaway. CCTV images emerged on Monday, appearing to show Abouyaaqoub starting to make his escape on foot through Barcelona’s La Boqueria market after the attack. He then rammed the Ford Focus through a police checkpoint before abandoning the vehicle and fleeing on foot. Site where Moroccan suspect Younes Abouyaaqoub was shot Credit: LUIS GENE/AFP/Getty Images Hours later, five of his associates launched a second attack in the coastal resort of Cambrils, in which a woman was stabbed to death and a police officer badly injured. All five terrorists were shot dead by police at the scene. There had been fears that Abouyaaqoub had fled across the border into France and might be preparing another terrorist outrage. But the Catalan police force was alerted shortly before 4.30pm local time, when a resident of Subirats spotted a man acting suspiciously in the street. She shouted to ask him what he was doing, causing him to run off towards a vineyard, where he was quickly challenged by armed officers. Roget Queral, an 18-year-old resident of Sant Sadurni d’Anoia, said he believed he had seen Abouyaaqoub in the area before last week’s attacks, leading to suggestions that he may have had a hideout in the town. Armed police officers stand guard near Subirats, Spain Credit: AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti Police were last night continuing to piece together the movements of the cell, which was based in the town of Ripoll, around 60 miles north of Barcelona in the foothills of the Pyerenees. It is now believed 40-year-old Abdelbaki Es Satty, the local imam, was responsible for radicalising the 12-strong Moroccan group. A former hashish smuggler, it is thought he became a jihadist after meeting one of the ringleaders of the Madrid train bombings while serving a four-year prison sentence in Valencia. After his release, he moved to Ripoll and began working at the local mosque as an imam. Barcelona attack map - 2108 The Spanish authorities have said they are almost certain Es Satty was one of two men who died in an explosion at a suspected bomb factory in the town of Alcanar last Tuesday. A man who survived the blast has been placed under arrest, and four other suspects, who were arrested in the wake of the attacks, also remain in custody. 7:11PM The tip-offs that led to his capture The chief of the Catalan police force, Major Josep Lluis Trapero, has explained that two different reports were received placing Abouyaacoub in the Subirats area, where he was eventually shot down. One was from two local police officers, who believed they saw a man looking like the suspect from their patrol car. At around the same time, a local woman called in saying she had “no doubt” that she had seen Abouyaacoub, who, she added, had been acting suspiciously near her home before running away into a vineyard. She said that her suspicion was confirmed by the fact that he was wearing a long-sleeved top on such a hot afternoon. Major Trapero described how police officers had approached Abouyaacoub in the vineyard he was crossing. He said that on being asked to stop and identify himself, the terrorist had lifted his shirt to show what appeared to be an explosive belt. Abouyaacoub then said “Allahu Akbar” before the officers shot him down. 6:49PM Peaceful location rocked by terror The mayoress of Sant Sadurni, Maria Rosell i Medall, said the situation was now under control, but that police were investigating every call they had received from residents to establish what had brought Abouyaaqoub to the area and whether he might have any local help. She said Sant Sadurni had always been "a safe and peaceful place" and that there had never been any indication to suggest any terrorist activity in the area. Police had been patrolling the area since the attacks, she said, and swung into action when they received the resident's call on Monday afternoon. 6:48PM Catalan President addresses reporters Catalan President Carles Puigdemont announced in a press conference that just before 5pm this afternoon the Catalan police had “shot down Younes Abouyaacoub, the perpetrator of the van attack in Barcelona last Thursday who had caused the death of 14 people”. Mr Puigdemont said he had informed Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy personally of today’s developments. He also expressed his “profound gratitude” to the Catalan police for their effective action, as well as that of all Catalan security forces. 6:27PM Abouyaaqoub's final days of hiding At 4.50pm on Thursday August 17, Younes Abouyaaqoub started his murderous rampage by driving a white Fiat rental van onto the pedestrianised central portion of Barcelona’s famous La Rambla, accessing the northern end of the avenue via Pelai street. After weaving left and right for 500 metres, killing 13 people and injuring scores more, the airbag in the van’s driver seat activated itself, stopping the vehicle in its tracks. Abouyaaqoub got out of the van and, was apparently filmed on CCTV images walking calmly away through the city’s emblematic La Boqueria food market wearing a blue and white polo shirt, dark trousers, trainers and a pair of sunglasses. According to Catalonia’s police chief, Major Josep Lluis Trapero, the 22-year-old Moroccan man then “walked and ran” six kilometres across the city in a westerly direction amidst the din of emergency sirens as ambulances transported the dead and injured to hospitals and the police mounted what they dubbed “Operation Cage” aimed at preventing terrorist suspects from escaping the city centre. At around 6.30pm, an hour and a half after the slaughter on La Rambla, Abouyaaqoub then came across Pau Pérez, a 34-year-old aid worker who was in his car in Barcelona’s University Zone, just off the city’s major El Diagonal traffic artery. According to the police’s version of events, Abouyaaqoub stabbed Pérez several times and took the wheel of his white Ford Focus, shoving his victim’s body into the back of the vehicle. Abouyaaqoub then drove through a police checkpoint on at the western end of El Diagonal, breaking an officer’s leg. Police fired shots but the car was not stopped. The Ford Focus was later found abandoned some two miles further west in the Sant Just Desvern area, on the outskirts of Barcelona, with Mr Pérez’s dead body inside. The police initially thought that the incident was not connected to the van attack on La Rambla, having identified the owner of the car as an unlikely terrorist suspect. When the autopsy revealed that Mr Pérez had been stabbed and not hit by a police bullet, investigators began to search for a link to the attacks. As, over the weekend, investigators untangled the web of the terrorist cell that had formed among young men of Moroccan origins in the small Pyrenean town of Ripoll, Abouyaaqoub was increasingly considered chief suspect of the van attack. Nothing is yet known about what Abouyaaqoub did during that time, except for the fact that he managed to travel some 25 miles west from the place in which he ditched the Ford Focus, possibly across mountainous terrain to the area in which police caught up with him at around 4.30pm on Monday afternoon. La Vanguardia has reported that Abouyaaqoub was located by the police after a woman in the Subirats area called in after seeing a man who looked like the chief suspect in the Barcelona van attack outside her home. The woman reportedly shouted at him and asked him what he was doing there, causing the suspect to run away into a vineyard. According to other unconfirmed reports, the woman said that Abouyaqoub had been whistling, as if trying to communicate with someone he had arranged to meet amongst nearby buildings. 6:00PM Locals say they recognised Abouyaaqoub Roget Queral, an 18-year-old resident of Sant Sadurni d'Anoia, said he believed he had seen Younes Abouyaaqoub in the area before. He said that when the attacker's image appeared on the news, "I thought, goodness, I recognise him". Mr Queral said his father also believed he recognised him, as did a number of residents of the town. Mr Queral said he could not be certain it was the same man, but believed he had seen him in Sant Sadurni two or three months ago. Despite the rural location, a stranger would not necessarily attract attention as it is a much-visited tourist area, which produces the internationally famous Freixenet cava. There was heavy police activity in the area, with a 500m cordon established around the scene of the shooting. Helicopters hovered overhead as police guarded roads, the Mossos urging locals not to reveal the location of controls. 4:32PM Bomb robot deployed A robot to defuse the suspected explosives belt has been deployed to the scene of the shooting in Subirats. It is approaching the site and will assess it for officers. 17:23 TEDAX està utilitzant el robot per apropar-se i fer comprovacions / TEDAX està utilizando el robot para acercarse #Subirats— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017 4:19PM Details emerge about shooting State broadcaster TVE report that the operation took place near a petrol station in a wooded area. Armed officers arrived on the scene after receiving a call from a member of the public. The regional Mossos d’Esquadra force tweeted at 4.39pm: “Police operation in progress in Subirats. Spread only official information.” It added in another tweet shortly afterwards: “We received an alert about a suspicious person in Subirats and activated a police response which is continuing.” 4:14PM Shooting confirmed Spanish police have confirmed that they shot dead a man. 17:05h La persona sospitosa de #Subirats porta adherit al cos el que sembla un cinturó d'explosius. L'individu ha estat abatut— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017 3:55PM Police announce operation The Mossos d'Esquadra have announced an operation in the area but have not confirmed any other details. Spanish media claimed the police had received a tip off from a resident in Subirats and on attending the scene were fired upon. The man was wearing an explosive belt and cried "Allahu Akhbar," according to reports. There was no immediate word on whether the suspect was dead or alive. 16:39h Operatiu policial en marxa a Subirats. Difoneu només informació oficial— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017 3:47PM Barcelona suspect caught by police Spanish police Mossos have stopped Younes Abouyaaqoub in Sant Sadurni, 60km from Barcelona, according to local media reports.
The Cavs set themselves up for this season in an effort to keep LeBron, and also protected against his possible departure.